Non Immigrants

A person who wishes to travel to the United States will either be an immigrant (one who wishes to reside in the U.S. permanently) or a non immigrant (one who will come to the U.S. temporarily). All individuals are considered to be immigrants unless they can satisfy the Government that they are only intending to stay temporarily in the U.S. The display of this desire to remain temporarily in the U.S. is called non immigrant intent and is satisfied by providing evidence that the non immigrant has a residence in another country that they do not intend to abandon, and that absent extensions of stay or changes or status, the non immigrant intends to return to their country of residence at the conclusion of their period of authorized stay.

In some limited circumstances, most notably the H-1b category, non immigrants are permitted to hold both non immigrant intent and immigrant intent (the intent to remain in the U.S. permanently).

There are many different categories on non immigrant status and this section is intended to provide a listing of some of the more commonly chosen categories. This section is not intended to be an exhaustive list of categories. It is important to note that there is not always a category to meet the desires of the individual. However, your lawyer will work with you to choose the most appropriate category for the particular need.

Non-Immigrant Resources: